“Why is it that when you call people sluts….they try to convince you that they’re not sluts? Doesn’t that make their argument even worse?”
Meet Greg, aka “Onision”.
Many of you sent me this video this week alarmed at this douchebag’s overt slut shamin’.
I once made a video that went kind of viral about sluts. The arguments basically go like this:
1) There is no such thing as a slut. Not in life. Not in the dictionary. It’s a made up term for a made up concept…kind of like the n-word and other slurs.
2) “Slut” is a derogatory term used to degrade & shame an individual’s sexuality.
3) More often than not, the shaming is directed at WOMEN (by both men and women) and serves to keep her “in her place”.
4) The term “slut” contributes to rape culture. It is paired with the idea that some women don’t behave (“sluts”), and those women are pretty much asking for rape/harrassment/assault.
5) Though the mechanism does not operate fully consciously, the term “slut” is often used in response to perceived threat. Threatened by a woman taking control of her sexuality, jealousy, threatened by having less experience than her, feeling less desired than her, etc. It is an expression of discomfort with female sexuality on the whole.
6) Some women have responded to this oppression by reclaiming the term…takin that shiet back. I *personally* think it’s better left behind us. It is not worth reclaiming because it comes from a place of hatred for female sexuality.
So, Greg decides that it would be a good idea to tell his viewers that having sex with more than 10 people before you’re 30 makes you a slut. A nice, positive message for his young audience.
Oh…and don’t come crying to HIM about being called a slut! It’s a dictionary definition, bitch. Not his fault for stating the truth! Maybe you shouldn’t have been such an enormous whore.
Greg shouldn’t be such an enormous
*ahem* Bad laci. Name calling isn’t the answer!
It’s obvious to me (and many of you) that Greg is full of shit. He decides some arbitrary definition that sounds good to him & shames viewers who don’t fit his whacko framework. My favorite part is when he turns around and abuses to viewers who respond with hurt & disgust. Summa that “you had it comin” rhetoric we rarely hear. Wow, what a cool guy! I love it when people impose their made-up holier-than-thou “morale” on my sex life.
When this stuff happens, the best we can do is inform the ignorant as to why slut shaming is not okay. Educate them and hope that they don’t continue to perpetuate more of this sexist bologna.
this one may be a lost cause.