I JUST HAD SEX – a critique

Time to cast a critical eye toward Lonely Island’s new song “I Just Had Sex”. It’s catchy as all hell and kind of makes me want to dance. But in my repeated viewing, I’ve gone back and forth as to whether or not the video (which has been widely viewed–20 million as of today) sends positive messages about sex to women.

Macroscopically speaking, “I Just Had Sex” parodically humanizes the experience of sex, and reminds the viewer that everybody does it. It also humorously makes a statement about appropriate discourse of sexual encounters. But I do have a few complaints–mainly, that the video implies sex is something men “do” to women (i.e. “It’s sure nice of her to let you do that thing”, “I’m so humbled by her ability to let me do her”, “Thanks for letting us fuck you”). My own experience begs to differ ;)

Seriously though, the song is pretty heteronormative (to be expected in the mainstream, unfortunately), and when an intimate act becomes someone “doing something” to another, it silences the experience of the other person. They become the passive receptor of whatever it is you’re “doing” to them. The internalization of this message would be unfortunate for both parties involved; for women, it is disempowering, and for the men, it romanticizes a watered-down version of the exchange that sex COULD facilitate.

Despite these gripes, I love the song. The embarrassed and annoyed looks of the women in the background serve to make us laugh, but also to remind us that such behavior makes men look like a complete jackasses. It even apologizes for all the men that actually DO act like that…so, thanks Akon, I might be able to see past your awful grammarz now.

67 thoughts on “I JUST HAD SEX – a critique

1. You could also explain it differently. In that they don’t mean the guys are “doing something” to the girls in your interpretation, but from the point of view that they don’t know what they are doing. So in the cases the song is actually about it’s not so much sex as in a guy “doing something” to a girl and calling it sex (as would be apparent from the “best 30 seconds” of my life comment).

It seems to be more of a parody on how important the concept of sex is in this day and age and seems to make fun of the idea that (especially boys) seem to have that having sex (and just “doing something” to someone would already count) is almost more important than the actual act of sex itself. To me it seems to parody the idea that exists that as long as your penis (like I said, especially from a boys point of view this counts) is somewhere near a girl and she touched it at least once you’re super cool.

In short, I would see it as more “insulting” to guys who glorify anything that could be called sex than to something that is disempowering to women. Seems to me the women are in power in this video.

Probably didn’t make sense, but there you have it.

2. Speaking from the point of view of a hard-core feminist, I still think this video is great and hilarious, because what I think they were really parodying wasn’t how great sex is, they were making fun of ass-hole dudes who think like that. Like the whole sequence where they’re saying “i wore a bag on my head!” and stuff like that, and “best 30 seconds of my life” it’s making fun of guys who don’t understand sex and are just ignorant and overexcited.

3. Personally, I would have never seen the video as making fun of anything but stereotypes. When I read Laci’s opinion on the video’s meaning, I went back and tried to see if I agreed.
    While it is true the women in the back acted disgusted (which made me almost fall out of my chair laughing), I saw how it disrespected(?) women. I would say it is more of a mocking those “bro” virgins (see here: mylifeisbro.com, but don’t type in mlib.com haha).
    Now that I just wrote it on the comments I can see these two beat me to it.
    But back to the point. I highly doubt anyone will see this as attacking either sex. They will either not want to analyze this or be to busy laughing (like I was).
    I am a dude btw.

4. I actually love this song, as well as the message it conveys, however, I’d interpret it slightly differently. As a comedy group, obviously TLI should be trying to attack our funny glands from all angles and in my opinion the funniest thing about this video is that the male is so amazed that he was “let… do that thing”.

In my opinion, it parodies the idea that sex is something that males “do” to females, if they are lucky enough for the female to allow it. Maybe I’m getting a little too deconstructionist with it, but in my opinion the song is actually meant to be somewhat of a social commentary in the same vein of what you’re saying, but it is lost in the more mainstream jokes that have to be put to the forefront of the song, because (let’s face it) if they weren’t, TLI would quickly lose their popularity with pop culture as a whole. Not too say that most people would highly disapprove of this theme, they just wouldn’t find it as funny as little things like jokes about finishing after thirty seconds and crying the whole time (and who can blame them! sorry those who got offended…)

• “In my opinion, it parodies the idea that sex is something that males “do” to females, if they are lucky enough for the female to allow it.” I agree here. I think the song itself is trying to convey that a woman is allowing sex, not that the man is “doing it to” her. Which, in either case, like Laci said before, it’s taking away from the intimacy of sex, and plugging in the mainstream idea that men want it, and women do not.
      Either way though, the video made me hurt myself laughing.

5. personally i love it this video, because it normalises sex, especially using two famous influential females. it makes girls think that haing sex, and being ok with sex is a good thing. :)

6. I think this also goes back to the way our culture views sex by gender perspective. For a lot of guys, sex is a form of conquest, because stereotypically women are just not as interested in it. Now recent experiences have told me different but I still think a lot of guys have found it challenging to get their female partner to participate in as much sex as they want.

7. Just for the record the song probably says
    because as a guy you kinda do want to thank the girl even though you (as a guy) did have to work to get to that point

8. wow, awesome post, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your blog by bing, many userful stuff here, now i have got some idea. bookmarked and also signed up your rss. keep us updated.

9. I cling on to listening to the news bulletin speak about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i find some?

10. This will be an incredibly big resourcefulness that you are supplying and you pass it away for free. I savour seeing websites that be conscious of the value of rendering a prime resource for free. I truly enjoyed reading your Wiley Post. Thanks!

11. Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such great information being shared freely out there.

12. I ran into this page mistakenly, surprisingly, this is a wonderful website. The site owner has carried out a superb job of putting it together, the info here is really insightful. You just secured yourself a guarenteed reader.

13. I ran into this page accidentally, surprisingly, this is a amazing website. The site owner has done a great job writing/collecting articles to post, the info here is really and helpful when i do research. Now i am going to bookmark this internet site so that I can revisit in the future.

14. This will be a really large imagination that you are furnishing and you pass it away for free. I relish seeing websites that be conscious of the value of supplying a prime resource for free. I truly enjoyed reading your Wiley Post. Thanks!

15. I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

16. As far as me being a member here, I wasn’t aware that I was a member for any days, actually. When the article was published I received a username and password, so that I could participate in the discussion of the post, That would explain me stumbuling upon this post. But we’re certainly all members in the world of ideas.

17. I ran into this page on accident, surprisingly, this is a amazing website. The site owner has carried out a superb job of putting it together, the info here is really insightful. You just secured yourself a guarenteed reader.

18. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

19. I can agree with what you are saying but at the same time I think you’re reading too far into it. These guys make funny videos. They may be poking fun at sex and making it a joke and as you said making it out that it’s something a guy does to a girl but unfortunately in society that is what happens. I am a girl and I can tell you that there has been many times in my life that sex was something a guy did to me. I’m not saying I was raped but it was a situation in which I wasn’t really in the mood and decided “whatever do your thing dude”. I don’t believe they are saying that EVERY sexual experience is like this but lets face it, a lot of times it is JUST like this. If someone is sexually active and can’t realize that this is a joke and sex isn’t ALWAYS like this that’s there problem to figure out.

• I needed to add something so people don’t think I’m a stereotypical girl that never wants to have sex. I DO enjoy sex, I just don’t enjoy it as much as a lot of people I know (male and female) so maybe my opinion is slightly biased …

20. konnte ich nahezu den ganzen Januar nicht trainieren.

21. All Categories

All (25)
    Coupons (22)
    Deals (3)

Active Coupons
    Rs. 250 off on one way domestic flights
    Click To See Code

Get a discount of Rs. 250 on one way domestic flights on a minimum booking of Rs.
    6000.

64% Success

117 votes total

2 comments

Anand posted on 23 Feb 2014 18:59

Sharukh posted on 16 Jan 2014 19:16
    Flat 10% off on Bus Bookings
    Click To See Code

Get a flat 10% discount on bus bookings.
    A maximum discount of Rs. 75 can be availed per booking.

80% Success

20 votes total

Sharukh posted on 15 Apr 2014 12:58
    Receive new coupon codes for Goibibo right in your inbox!

We promise we won’t share your email address with anyone

goibibo
    Rs. 500 off on round trip domestic flights

Get a discount of Rs. 500 on round trip domestic flights on
    a minimum booking of Rs. 12,000.

74% Success

210 votes total

Sharukh posted on 16 Jan 2014 19:16
    Upto Rs. 3000 off on Hotel Bookings
    Click To See Code

Get discounts of upto Rs. 3000 on hotel bookings.

15 votes total

Sharukh posted on 14 Apr 2014 10:09
    10% off on domestic flights (SBI Credit Cards)
    Click To See Code

Flat 10% off on domestic flights for SBI credit card users.
    Maximum discount of Rs 2500. Offer valid on both one way and return flights.

Book by 26th April but dates of travel are valid for 30 days from the booked date.

71% Success

7 votes total

Working code.

Rohit posted on 22 Apr 2014 09:44
    Special Offers on Flights, Hotels & Buses
    Activate Deal

Check out Goibibo’s special offers on flights, hotel and bus bookings including special offers for IndusInd Bank & Indian Overseas Bank Customers and on using American Express cards.
    These offers also include best fares on most popular international routes.
    Use the respective coupon codes for each category to avail the discounts.

79% Success

Did this deal work for you?

24 votes total

Deal

Valid Offer

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 10:49
    Flat Rs. 1000 off on Round Trip Intl Flights
    Click To See Code

Get a flat discount of Rs. 1000 on round trip international flights.

Offer valid till 30th April.

88% Success

9 votes total

Sharukh posted on 16 Apr 2014 15:44
    Flat 20% off on Domestic Hotel Bookings

Offer of the Day: Get a flat 20% discount on domestic
    hotel bookings. A maximum discount of Rs. 2500 can
    be availed per booking.

92% Success

14 votes total

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 07:34
    Flat Rs. 115 off on Rs. 1155 & Above (Bus)

Get a flat discount of Rs. 115 on bus bookings on a minimum
    booking of Rs. 1155.

84% Success

19 votes total

Sharukh posted on 15 Apr 2014 12:58
    10% off on bus bookings (SBI credit cards)
    Click To See Code

10% off on bus booking for SBI credit card users. Maximum discount of Rs 200 per transaction.
    Offer valid till 26th April.

1 votes total

new working code.

Rohit posted on 22 Apr 2014 09:51
    Rs. 3000 off on Rs. 40,000 (Round Trip Intl Flights)
    Click To See Code

Get a flat discount of Rs. 3000 on round trip international flights on a minimum booking of Rs.
    40,000. Offer valid till 30th April.

88% Success

9 votes total

Sharukh posted on 16 Apr 2014 15:44
    25% off on domestic hotels (SBI Credit Cards)
    Click To See Code

25% off on domestic hotel booking for SBI credit card users.
    Maximum discount of Rs 3000 per transaction. Offer valid till 26th April.

1 votes total

New valid coupon.

Rohit posted on 22 Apr 2014 09:45
    Flat 10% off on international hotels

Flat 10% off on international hotels. Maximum discount of Rs
    2000. Offer valid till 30th April.

1 votes total

Tested 23/04/2014

new hotel coupon.

Rohit posted on 23 Apr 2014 10:02
    Rs. 800 off on Rs. 25,000 (Domestic Flights)
    Click To See Code

Get a flat discount of Rs. 800 on domestic flights on a minimum booking of Rs.
    25,000. Offer valid till 30th April.

80% Success

10 votes total

Sharukh posted on 15 Apr 2014 16:23
    Rs. 5000 off on 2 Way Intl Flights (2 Passengers)

Get a flat discount of Rs. 5000 on round trip international flights
    booked for 2 ore more passengers. Offer valid on a minimum booking of Rs.
    1,20,000 and is valid till 30th April.

4 votes total

Sharukh posted on 18 Apr 2014 18:05
    Upto 60% off on Domestic Holiday Packages
    Activate Deal

Get discounts of upto 60% on domestic holiday packages starting at Rs.
    9999 ONLY. Choose from popular destinations including Kashmir, Kerala, Rajasthan,
    South India, Himachal Pradesh and more. No coupon code required.

100% Success

Did this deal work for you?

8 votes total

Deal

Valid Offer

Sharukh posted on 14 Apr 2014 14:40
    Rs. 350 off on Domestic Flights (IndusInd Bank)
    Click To See Code

Offer for IndusInd Bank Customers: Get a flat discount of Rs.
    350 on domestic flights on a minimum booking of
    Rs. 4000. Offer valid till 30th June.

84% Success

13 votes total

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 07:29
    Rs. 8000 off on 2 Way Intl Flights (3 Passengers)
    Click To See Code

Get a flat discount of Rs. 8000 on round trip international flights booked for 3
    or more passengers. Offer valid on a minimum
    booking of Rs. 1,60,000 and is valid till 30th April.

4 votes total

Sharukh posted on 18 Apr 2014 18:05
    Upto Rs. 5000 off on American & European Flights
    Activate Deal

Get discounts of upto Rs. 5000 on select American and European flights.
    No coupon code required. Offer valid till 30th April.

100% Success

Did this deal work for you?

7 votes total

Deal

Valid Offer

Sharukh posted on 14 Apr 2014 18:51
    Rs 2000 off on return international flights (SBi Cards)
    Click To See Code

Rs 2000 off on return international flights for SBI card users.

Offer valid on minimum booking of Rs 20,000. Valid till
    26th April.

1 votes total

working coupon.

Rohit posted on 22 Apr 2014 09:49
    Flat 15% off on Thai Hotels
    Click To See Code

Flat 15% off on Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya hotels.

Offer valid till 31st May.

1 votes total

Valid coupon.

Rohit posted on 22 Apr 2014 17:29
    20% off on Domestic Hotels (IndusInd Bank)

Offer for IndusInd Bank Customers: Get a
    flat 20% discount on domestic hotel bookings. A maximum discount
    of Rs. 2500 can be availed per transaction.
    Offer valid till 30th June.

9 votes total

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 07:29
    Rs. 50 off on on Bus Tickets (IndusInd Bank)
    Click To See Code

Offer for IndusInd Bank Customers: Get a flat discount of Rs.

50 on bus tickets on a minimum booking of Rs. 500. Offer valid till
    30th June.

76% Success

13 votes total

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 07:29
    Rs. 1250 off on Round Trip Intl Flights (IndusInd Bank)
    Click To See Code

Offer for IndusInd Bank Customers: Get a flat discount of Rs.

1250 on round trip international flights. Offer valid till 30th June.

90% Success

10 votes total

Sharukh posted on 12 Apr 2014 07:29
    10% off on international hotel bookings (SBi cards)
    Click To See Code

10% off on international hotel bookings for SBI card uers.

Offer valid till 26th April.

Did this coupon work for you?

22. I think this is one of the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your
    article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site
    style is great, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers